Information for Tenants & Service Users

Debt Advice

If you find you are having difficulty paying your rent, fuel bills or managing other finances, please contact us as soon as possible.  If you have a keyworker, please also notify them so they can support you and help you address your debt issues.

We understand that getting into debt is stressful and we can offer you advice and guidance.  For us to help you, you must contact us as soon as possible to discuss your situation.  You can also contact outside agencies for advice:

What happens if you fall behind with your rent and service charge payments?

It is your responsibility to make sure that you pay your rent and service charges on time, even if you are claiming Housing Benefit. 

This means if you have been asked for additional information from the Housing Benefit department to process your claim then it is your responsibility to ensure they receive it and that any queries are responded to. If you contact us, we will help you to ensure you are getting all the benefits that you are entitled to. We will also make a reasonable arrangement for you to repay any arrears that you have.

Please note:  If you do not contact us or make an agreement about your debts we may have to start Court proceedings.